Image: mashable composite. richard Shotwell/ap. Robb cohen/ap.
The universe itself is in a state of panic as the fates rest on the shoulders of two famous people.
I’m talking, of course, about the rumors that Drake and Taylor Swift, who have been friendly since the 2013 VMAs, are maybe sort of interested in dating each other.
The whispers began when Swift attended Drake’s birthday party on Sunday, and why would you invite anyone to celebrate with you if you’re not planning to make out with them a lot?
Swift apparently spent a lot of time with Drake and his mom — usually more of a third date activity for Tay, but whatever — and the rumors began.
According to a source, Drake did not introduce Swift to his mom because they’re dating — he was just being hospitable because he wanted to make sure Taylor felt welcome.
Just prior to the bash, Drake commented on Swift’s Instagram with an emoji seal of approval. Flirty!
It seems to add up to a whole lot of nothing right now, especially considering that Drizzy and Tay tend to have types that are not each other. But there’s always reason to believe that any pair of young, good-looking rich people might hop in bed together, so you never know.
Could T-Swift really be making Drake’s hotline bling? Is it mad love? Here are some wildly speculative arguments for both sides:
NOPE. No, no, no…
1. The last time Taylor Swift dated a man who wasn’t British was 2012 when she had an all-American summer fling with Connor Kennedy. After Harry Styles, Calvin Harris and Tom Hiddleston, it doesn’t seem likely that she will date a Canadian.
2. Drake has been rumored to be dating models Dakota Gonzales and India Love since the latest incarnation of Aubrih fizzled out. While there’s little else Swift loves more than a gaggle of models, she probably doesn’t want her man cavorting with them.
3. On that note, let’s take a moment to acknowledge the persistent fan theories that Swift is actually gay and her celebrity boyfriends are just a big cover up. KAYLOR FOREVER!
4. The day after his birthday, Drake went to a Kanye West concert, which is not the sort of thing a person does while romancing Taylor Alison Swift.
5. Swift, bless her heart, says she’s trying to avoid overexposure while she huddles down and tries to beat the massive success of 1989.
6. Love is pretty much dead.
1. They’ve got a lot of enemies. Swift’s bad blood is infamous, while Drake was looking for revenge all summer sixteen. It’s something to bond over!
2. Swift and Drake have both aligned with Apple Music in the great streaming wars. Apple/Tidal/Spotify beef has the potential to make Thanksgiving awkward when music royalty is involved, so it’s best not to date outside your preferred streaming service.
3. They both love investing in real estate.
4. Swift secretly worked on "This Is What You Came For" with her ex, Calvin Harris, which Rihanna ended up singing. Swift’s turn as a ghostwriter caused some drama, and if Drake, who will never, ever truly get over Riri, wants to make his ex mad, dating Swift has a lot of potential in that department.
5. Drake allegedly loves ghostwriters, so hooking up with Nils Sjoberg would make perfect sense.
6. She’s got a blank space, so why not write his name?